23 January 2012

Temperamental Love

I heard some lyrics today that really resonated with how I have been feeling the last few days. I thought they might be helpful to share, since we can all relate to loving something or someone temperamentally. I've been having the kind of love/hate relationship with with the concept of falling in love, like Ingrid Michaelson's song below describes...
"We hate the rain when it fills up our shoes,
But how we love when it washes our cars.
We love to love when it fills up the room,
But when it leaves, oh we're cursing the stars."
When things are going our way, or the way that we expect, we praise the Universe for what it's providing us. However, when the Universe instead takes away or equalizes some imbalance greater than ourselves, we take out our frustration and anger on that same Provider. If we can let every occurrence land in our lives like an opportunity, rather than a misfortune, then the world would look so much brighter. Whether you choose to see it this way or not, the world is always ripe with beauty and possibility. Sometimes we sink into a place where we want to darken our perception - slipping on sunglasses to dull the radiant opportunities around us. Take off those glasses - you might have to squint to adjust to the light at first, but the world is so much more welcoming when we do.

Listen to Ingrid Michaelson's new album, including How We Love (quoted above), here:

2 comments:

  1. She sparked like firewood inside a stove :)

    This quote helped me today and I wanted to share it with you.

    “I've learned that no matter what happens, or how bad it seems today, life does go on, and it will be better tomorrow. I've learned that you can tell a lot about a person by the way he/she handles these three things: a rainy day, lost luggage, and tangled Christmas tree lights. I've learned that regardless of your relationship with your parents, you'll miss them when they're gone from your life. I've learned that making a "living" is not the same thing as making a "life." I've learned that life sometimes gives you a second chance. I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands; you need to be able to throw something back. I've learned that whenever I decide something with an open heart, I usually make the right decision. I've learned that even when I have pains, I don't have to be one. I've learned that every day you should reach out and touch someone. People love a warm hug, or just a friendly pat on the back. I've learned that I still have a lot to learn. I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.”
    ― Maya Angelou

    xo love you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is wonderful! Thank you for sharing with me. It really has so many inspiring bits. I'm going to blog about it later after I let it sink in - I definitely want to share it with others. I love you!

      Delete