16 January 2012

#14: 50 Life Secrets and Tips

This tip really speaks to me, because one of my big callings / sources of fulfillment is helping others. 
Help others. A plethora of reasons why this is a MUST:
  • Helping people has a ripple effect. If you help someone they will feel more obliged to help someone else, and so on. Pay it forward
  • You grow by giving and helping others. It can change you in ways you never expected
  • Your relationship with that person will become stronger
  • It’s the most fulfilling thing you can do on this planet. It not only feels amazing physically, you also feel like a good person
  • You might be able to call in a favor later when you need some help
  • Karma (if you believe in it)
  • Because there are more people in this world than just you
I believe in this 1000%. Helping others, only when you are really altruistic about it, is such a wonderful way to love them. Whether it's a family member, a friend, or a stranger, helping is a universal expression of love and care. I like to make people feel special by lending a helping hand or surprising them with something that will make them smile. I really enjoy helping take a load off of others and feeling like I am contributing to them feeling more balanced and loved. It's important to me to know that the people in my life feel like they can count on me and call on me. I thrive so much on the high I get from helping others and the joy it brings the recipient, that it's hard for me to be with people that I can't contribute to. I don't know how to be myself around people who are closed off to getting help from me. I realize that I feel a loss of worth if I can't be of service to the people that I love and care about. My enneagram results (Achiever, wing Helper) really speak to this desire I have to make others happy and feel helpful. I guess there are worse things I could want! But, I realize that this trait (like all others) isn't all "good." Sometimes I use it to avoid thinking about myself and the things that I need help with (whether I need help from myself or others). It's so much easier for me to focus on how I can help others than it is to be self-flective. Naturally, I am really drawn to people who can engage me on a deeper, "self realization" level. Through journaling and sharing with close people in my life, I have come to some very interesting conclusions about myself and my growth. But those who can "help" me / facilitate a less surface evaluation of myself (and or those who are really in touch with themselves) are very desirable because of my tendency to think of others' needs more than my own. 


It's interesting how I chose to interpret this tip tonight. The direction I took my response tells me that I am learning to think more about what I need - from others and myself - and to be aware and accepting of who I am. 

No comments:

Post a Comment