09 February 2012

Brené Brown

Brené Brown is the wonderful research professor who gave the TED Talk on the Power of Vulnerability that I posted last week on my blog. Today I decided to dig deeper into her work, since I felt so moved by her presentation. I really want to be that wholehearted person she describes. As a recap, her research poses the questions:
How do we learn to embrace our vulnerabilities and imperfections so that we can engage in our lives from a place of authenticity and worthiness? How do we cultivate the courage, compassion, and connection that we need to recognize that we are enough – that we are worthy of love, belonging, and joy?
I discovered that Dr. Brown has written two books! The Gifts of Imperfection: Letting Go of Who We Think We Should Be and Embracing Who We Are and I Thought It Was Just Me (but it isn’t): Telling the Truth About Perfectionism, Inadequacy, and Power. The first book is her "guide" to living a wholehearted life. I asked, and I received! I have added so many books to my list in the last couple of weeks - they are filling out my bookshelf at home. But The Gifts of Imperfection might have to take over the #1 spot. I want to be able to confidently declare, "I am enough" and really believe it. I am open to and excited about learning what barriers I am currently putting in my own way. Are you? Do you fully embrace and accept all of your self-proclaimed "imperfections?"

No comments:

Post a Comment