22 February 2012

#23: Life Secrets and Tips

No pain, no gain? I don't know if I buy into this tip...
The Rubberband Method. This is the third and final way to rid yourself of negative thoughts (hopefully by now you have figured out that this is very important!). Place a rubber band around your wrist and snap it against your skin anytime a negative thought finds its way into your head. This operant conditioning technique associates a slight pain with negative thoughts like Pavlov associated food/salivation with the sound of a bell. Sounds a bit cruel at first but it only stings for a second, I promise. Plus the outcome, having only positive thoughts, far outweighs a little slap on the wrist here and there.
If I did this every time I had a negative thought, I would have a sore wrist. If I did this every time I wasn't present, like having longing or regretful thoughts, I'm not sure I would have much of a wrist left to snap. Looks like I need to recenter this weekend. I just received a book recommendation in the mail, and I think it would be a great way to get started (Who Switched Off My Brain? Revised: Controlling Toxic Thoughts and Emotions). My pile of must-reads is stacking up though. Luckily, it will be warm and sunny this weekend! Makes for perfect outdoor reading and meandering in my own head.


Though seemingly simple, even small posts like this are wonderful "verbalizations" of my priorities and encouragements for a transformation...or twelve.


Keep on loving, friends! Yourself included. For there is no true love of others without loving yourself first.




No comments:

Post a Comment