22 December 2011

#4: 50 Life Secrets and Tips

This is a good one for personal and professional reasons...
Remember people’s names so that they feel appreciated and for your own future benefit when you want something from that person. To do this, say their name back to them when they introduce themselves. Then repeat the name in your head a number of times until you are sure you have it. Continue to use their name in conversation as much as possible to remove any chance of forgetting it. If you’re still having trouble, make up a rhyme about their name: “Dan the Man” or “Natalie flatters me.”
I feel like we tend to easily forget names these days. I can't tell you how many times I have forgotten someone's name no sooner than it has left their mouth - it's like I am more focused on my response back to their greeting than actually listening to their name! Being proactive with remembering people's names will keep our minds fresh and help us to be better listeners when new people share with us. Don't you feel special / aren't you surprised when someone you met only once or twice remembers your name? It really does have a positive effect, and it usually makes us more conscious of remembering their name and anything else about them we can ask about later.

I also notice that when people say my name in a conversation, it adds impact and really draws my attention back in. It's a great tool to engage your listener and ensure that  he/she understands the importance of your words. Try it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment