12 December 2011

#2: 50 Life Secrets and Tips

Happy Monday, everyone! Today I want to move onto thinking about #2 of "50 Like Secrets and Tips." I must admit - this is a difficult one for me...
2. Constantly try to reduce your attachment to possessions. Those who are heavy-set with material desires will have a lot of trouble when their things are taken away from them or lost. Possessions do end up owning you, not the other way around. Become a person of minimal needs and you will be much more content.
Sheryl Crow thinks so, too! In her song Soak Up the Sun, she sings "It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got!" It's such a terrible feeling to want an item - to have some expectation about receiving/buying it or to long for the unattainable. It's definitely not thinking in the present. I have a hard time letting go of my material possessions. It's as if I'm afraid I will want them when they are gone, even if I don't currently use them or think about them on a regular basis. Once I finally do a big (boyfriend-encouraged) wipeout of old things that I haven't looked at for years, I feel so cleansed and happy to rid myself of things I don't need. But getting to the point of letting go is really hard for me - it generally involves me stomping my feet all the way to the trash or Good Will bin. Why do I feel that way? Yes, society has a very consumerist influence, but there must be something that runs deeper. Do all of my things make me feel safe? Is it about holding onto the memories and/or meanings I have attached to the items? Is it the "rainy day" mentality? Perhaps it is a little bit of all of these things.  Not only do I like my "stuff," but I also really love giving "stuff." One of my very best friends always has to remind me, "you are enough!" when I stress about getting gifts or making people feel special with material things. I know there are so many other ways to show people that I care for them, but I just struggle to act on them. Friendly, loving words and hand-made gifts are more personal and genuine. But somehow I always get sucked into spending money to make my gift or token of appreciation have more value. Apparently, I am judging my own giving with the wrong kind of currency.  Any advice or thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment