29 May 2012

Good Vibrations

"Do you have to change your vibration on a particular subject in order to let it in? No, you don't. You could pet your pet and let it in. You could sit with your feet dangling in the bay, and let it in. If it is a subject that you often think of in an attitude of resistance, it is really worthwhile reaching for some thoughts that feel better. You could launch an intention and never think about it again, and the Universe would yield it to you. You don't have to clean up your vibration relative to anything, if you can just not think about it anymore. That's why we teach meditation. It's easier to teach you to have no thought than to have pure positive thought. When you quiet your mind you stop thought; when you stop thought you stop resistance; when you stop resistance—then you are in a state of allowing." - Abraham 
Yesterday in Bikram class, my yoga instructor read the quote above during our relaxation savasana pose. It resonated with me so much that I wanted to share it with you all. This is a quote about acceptance and about being open. It's about letting go of your ideas, expectations, and judgements, and really letting the Universe command you. It is about embracing who you are and resisting the tendency to become a chameleon or give up your beliefs to feel accepted. It is about surrendering thoughts of positive/negative, good/bad, right/wrong, and just letting everything be as it is - perfect, whole, and complete in this moment. 

Lately I feel like I have been passing a lot of judgement - against myself, against others, against the order of my life's events. I find myself going into my yoga practice with expectations about how the class should go, or judging where someone else is at this point in their life, or resenting my bank account and what it says I can afford this month. Hearing this quote brought immediate awareness to the chatter that has been clogging my thoughts and inhibiting my ability to willingly accept what the Universe has in store for me and when it will bring certain things to fruition, or not. There is no such thing as resentment, discontent, whiplash, or dejection when you are in that "state of allowing" that the quote refers to. Like another one of my favorite Bikram teacher says, "turn off those radio stations in your head, and just be. Just relax." It may seem intuitive to try really hard to do just that when you are in a hot, humid yoga room and your heart is beating out of your chest. But what about practicing that out of the yoga room too?

I want to be able to bring that inner peace I feel in my savasana - where I am totally surrendering my mind to let my body rejuvenate - into my everyday life. No thoughts, worries, distractions... just being open and wholehearted. I am challenging myself to be more aware of the thoughts I let in and actively bringing my mind back to a centered, calm place.

What methods do you use to maintain inner peace in your everyday?


No comments:

Post a Comment